September 25 , 2007
1. Life Story Writing - This new class is an evolved version of the Reminisce class offered at Michael E. Rodgers Seniors’ Center last year. Come together with new friends and share some of your most memorable moments. The goal is to put these thoughts on paper to document your legacy. How did your family celebrate Halloween when you were a kid? What kind of parent were you--strict, permissive, or in-between? Who was your most memorable teacher in grade school? What was your favorite vacation as a child? How did you meet your spouse? What is your favorite ice cream flavor? Join the group every other Wednesday to recount your life experiences. Instructor Elaine Krasnitz will help you get your memories on paper so you can share these memories with friends and family. The classes are held the 2nd & 4th Wednesdays, 10 a.m. – 12:00 p.m., at Michael E. Rodgers Seniors’ Center, 1706 Orange Avenue. For more information, please call 536-9387.
2. Plein Air Festival Continues with Weekend Events - The Huntington Beach Art Center’s 3rd Annual Plein Air Festival is now in its second week with artists completing beautiful paintings that will be for sale beginning Friday, September 28. The Festival continues through October 7 with the following line-up of events:
|Preview reception and wine tasting||Sept. 28||6 – 9 p.m.||$25|
|“Painting in the Streets” Event on Main St||Sept. 29||10 a.m. - 4 p.m.||N/A|
|Public reception and sale||Sept. 29||6 – 9 p.m.||Free|
|Art exhibition and sale||Sept. 29 -Oct. 7|
All events, except Painting in the Streets, will be held at the Art Center located at 538 Main Street. The Art Center is open Wednesday through Saturday, 12 to 6 p.m., Sunday 12 to 4 p.m., and closed Monday and Tuesday. Funds raised help support the Art Center’s exhibition and educational programs. For information, please call 374.1650 or visit http://www.huntingtonbeachca.gov/Visitors/art_center/.
3. Municipal Parking Pass – On October 1, the Municipal Parking Pass, which is valid at both the city beach lots and the Main Promenade Parking Structure, goes to its lowest prorated price of the year, $25. Seniors (62 or older) pay only 40 percent of the regular pass price or $10 for the remainder of the year. Purchase the pass at either Moorhouse Lifeguard Headquarters, 103 Pacific Coast Highway, or on the fifth floor of the Civic Center in the Community Services Department.
1. City Café - New operating hours!!! The City Café will have new operating hours beginning on Friday, September 28. Monday through Thursday they will be open from 7 a.m. - 3 p.m., and Fridays from 7 a.m. - 2 p.m.
1. August 2007 Water Consumption - Although temperatures soared in August, the residential water usage was down 11 million gallons compared to August 2006. The California Department of Water Resources has declared 2007 to be a critically dry year. Watch for news on a voluntary drought management program.
Did you know the Historic Resources Board has organized a Historic Walking Tour of Downtown Huntington Beach? Pick up your walking tour brochure today on the 3rd floor of City Hall! Check out the Historic Huntington Beach webpage for more information!