General Departmental Information



Driving Under the Influence

Bicycle Safety


General Information

Q: "What is the phone number for...What are your hours?"
A: Please refer to HBPD Phone directory for phone numbers and hours of operation.

Q: "How do I get to the HBPD?"

A: HBPD is located on the South East corner of Yorktown and Main at 2000 Main Street in the city of Huntington Beach. The following are directions from various portions of O.C.:

Q: "I got a notice telling me that I have a warrant. What does this mean?"
A: There are two types of warrants for persons. 1) Bench and 2) Arrest. In either case, if you have a warrant for your arrest, and you legally come into contact with a police officer, you may be subject to arrest. You could also be contacted by a law enforcement officer and served with a warrant and/or arrested.
Once in custody, you may be given the opportunity to post bail or be processed to court usually within 48 hours.

Q: "I'm getting stopped by the police, what do I do next?"
A: Pull over to the right-hand edge or curb of the highway, clear of an intersection, and stop. For more information click here.

Q: "I've been involved in an accident. What am I required to do?"

A: Accidents are classified as either:

Section 20001 (a) CVC, states: The driver of any vehicle involved in an accident resulting in injury to any person, other than himself or herself, or in death of any person, shall immediately stop the vehicle at the scene of the accident and shall fulfill the requirements of Sections 20003 (a) CVC and 20004 CVC.

Sections 20003 and 20004 describe what a driver must do at the scene. Section 20003 is titled Duty Upon Injury or Death. In essence, it states that any driver involved in an accident resulting in injury or death must give his or her name, current address and vehicle registration information to the person struck or the driver or occupants of any vehicle collided with, and shall give the information to any traffic or police officer at the scene of the accident. The driver also shall render to any person injured in the accident reasonable assistance, including transporting, or making arrangements for transporting any injured person to a physician, surgeon or hospital for treatment.... There is more to this section, and this is by no means the full text, just the basics. Section 20004 is titled Duty upon Death. It deals with the issue of no traffic or police officer at the scene of a fatal accident and requires the driver of any vehicle involved to report the accident to the nearest CHP office or duly authorized police authority and submit with the report the information required by Section 20003.

(20002 CVC) is titled Duty Where Property Damaged, and deals with Property damage only (PDO) accidents. The driver of any vehicle involved in an accident resulting in damage to any property, including vehicles, shall immediately stop the vehicle at the scene of the accident and do either of the following:

  1. Locate and notify the owner or person in charge of that property of the name and address of the driver and owner of the vehicle involved, and upon being requested, present his or her driver's license, and vehicle registration to the other person. The information presented shall include current residence address of the driver and of the registered owner.
  2. Leave in a conspicuous place on the vehicle or other property damaged, a written notice giving the name and address of the driver and of the owner of the vehicle involved and a statement of the circumstances thereof and shall without unnecessary delay notify the police or CHP.
  3. The above rules also apply to a roll away (runaway) vehicle situation.

Again, the above is not the full text, just the basic information.

Also, the exchanging of insurance information at an accident is mandatory, per Section 16025 CVC. Many accidents are caused by drivers speeding or driving at a speed unsafe for conditions. Distracted driving plays an "associated factor" in many accidents.

Do I have to wear seat belts?  When does a child have to be in an approved Safety Seat?
A: Wearing seat belts is mandatory (27315(d)(1) CVC). As a driver you can be stopped and cited if you and/or your passengers, 16 years of age or older, aren't wearing a seat belt. There doesn't have to be another violation associated with this for the officer to stop you.  This is now considered a "primary" violation.

The law regarding child safety seats has changed recently. Per 27360 (a) CVC.  A parent, legal guardian, or driver shall not transport on a highway in a motor vehicle, a child or ward who is under eight years of age, without properly securing that child in a rear seat in an appropriate child passenger restraint system meeting applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards. 

In addition, a child or ward who is eight years of age or older, but less than 16 years of age, must be properly secured in an appropriate child passenger restraint system or safety belt meeting applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards. 

The fines associated with the above violations have also increased, in some cases up to $250 for multiple violations.

Is it illegal to play my stereo too loud?
A: Yes.  If your stereo can be heard more than 50 feet away from your car you can be stopped and cited for a violation of Section 27007 CVC.

Can I tint all of the windows on my vehicle?
A: No.  26708 and 26708.5 CVC deal with tinted windows. As a rule, any windows which are to the rear of the driver's door/window may be tinted. However, if you tint the back (rear) window, you must have both a left and right hand side mirror.

How does an officer recognize a drunk driver?
A: An officer will recognize a drunk driver by the driver's impaired driving ability. Impaired driving can be as obvious as a vehicle speeding, running a stop sign, weaving/crossing over lanes, or driving without lights. Less obvious signs of an impaired driver are erratic movements, over-correcting turns, stopping before/past limit lines at controlled intersections, long signaling before turns, or poor depth perception.

What happens when I am stopped for driving while under the influence?
A: If you have been stopped and are suspected of driving while under the influence, the officer will be looking for objective symptoms of intoxication. Some of these objective symptoms are the odor of an alcoholic beverage, bloodshot or watery eyes, slurred speech or unsteady balance.

If the officer notices these objective symptoms, the officer will then administer field sobriety tests. The officer will be looking at basic coordination, balance, and concentration. A P.A.S. (Preliminary Alcohol Screening) Test may also be administered in the field.

If you have passed the field sobriety tests, the officer at his/her discretion can call a taxi, have a friend to drive you home, or let you drive away.

What happens if I have been arrested for suspicion of driving while under the influence of alcohol?
A: If you have been arrested for suspicion of drunk driving, you are required by California State Law to submit to a chemical test to determine the amount of alcohol in your blood (implied consent law - 23157 CVC(23157 (a) (1) ). The three tests that are offered are:

If you select a blood test a nurse or phlebotomist will draw a blood sample and the sample will be analyzed at a lab on a later date. If you select a urine test you will be required to give two samples in a 20 minute period. The first sample is used to void the bladder and it is discarded. After a period of 20 minutes, a second sample will be collected and analyzed for alcohol at a later date. If you select a breath test, you will be required to blow into a breathalyzer machine twice to complete the test. The results of this test are available immediately. Should you refuse or fail to complete a test, your privilege to drive will be automatically be suspended for one (1) year by the Department of Motor Vehicles.

After the testing, if your test results show you have a blood alcohol content of .08 percent or more, your license will be taken away on the spot. An Administrative "PER SE" (in and of itself) order of suspension 13353.2 CVC(13353.2 (a) ) is given. This is a driver's license suspension which is issued by the officer at the time of arrest. (You will be given a 30-day temporary driving permit to allow for review and appeal of your case to the DMV). The suspension becomes effective 30 days after it is issued.

Upon completion of implied consent, you will either be cited (given a court date) and released to a detox facility (rehabilitation facility) or taken to the county jail.

What happens if I am found guilty of DUI?
A: If you are found guilty in court, fines and penalties will be imposed on you. These fines and penalties will be determined by the court and can range from one (1) year in County Jail to four (4) years in State Prison.

On your first conviction (misdemeanor), you will be fined $400-$1000, and you may be required to serve up to six months in jail with three to five years of probation. Attendance in a drug/alcohol treatment program and community service may be required.

On a second (2nd) conviction you will have to pay the same fines, spend more time in jail (90 days to one year), and lose your license for up to eighteen (18) months. A judge may require attendance for over a year in a drug/alcohol treatment program.

On a third (3rd) conviction within seven (7) years, you could go to jail for two (2) to four (4) years, and fines could be as high as $5000.

The fourth (4th) conviction is an automatic felony.

If the drunk driving charge involves an injury or a fatality, you will be arrested on felony charges. A felony conviction will bring you the same or higher fines, a longer license suspension, attendance in a drug/alcohol treatment program and a longer jail sentence.

Q: What is the helmet law for bikes?
A: Each year, more than a thousand men, women and children are killed in bicycle related accidents in North America. Seventy-five percent of those deaths could have been prevented if the riders of the bicycles had worn helmets. Even more lives can be saved if riders follow simple safety guidelines when riding their bicycles.

Effective January 1, 1994 all bicycle riders and passengers under age 18 must wear bicycle helmets while operating a bicycle in any public place. Additionally, the law states that bicycle helmets must meet the standards of the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) or the Snell Memorial Foundation's standard for Protective headgear. So, make sure when you purchase a helmet, it has either the "Snell" or ANSI" sticker inside.

Q: What kind of equipment is required?
A: Your bicycle must have the proper equipment.

Q: What are the rules of the Road for Bicycles?
A: One rider per bicycle! Unless of course there is another seat, such as a child seat. Carrying passengers on handlebars and pegs is illegal. Bicycle riders must use hand signals when turning or braking suddenly. Bicycles are responsible for following the same laws as cars. This means obeying all posted signals, signs, and riding on the right side of the road.

Q: What are the Bicycle Licensing requirements?
A:In March 2003, the city of Huntington Beach City Council repealed the Municipal Code law which required bicycles within the city to be licensed. You do not need a bicycle license in Huntington Beach.

Q: Why is there a curfew law for juveniles?
A: The City of Huntington Beach recognizes the youth of the city as our most precious resource. The purpose of this ordinance is to protect the youth of our community, reduce juvenile crime, and reinforce parental authority.

One significant portion in the curfew ordinance holds parents accountable for their children's actions. A state law enacted in 1994 allows cities to recoup the law enforcement costs associated with the detention and transportation of juveniles who violate curfew laws.

A violation of the curfew regulations set forth in City of Huntington Beach Municipal Code Sections (see next FAQ section) constitutes a misdemeanor.

Q: What are the curfew laws in HB?
A: There are several curfew laws in HB:

Some other curfew laws related to juveniles are:

Some other curfew laws related to public property and any persons are:

All of the above laws are a misdemeanor. There are also exceptions to the above summarized laws. For further details you can research the full description of the law at city hall or click Municipal Code for a complete listing of our municipal codes.

Q: What happens if my child is arrested for violation of curfew?
A: After the officer makes an arrest typically one of two things happen. Either the parents are contacted by dispatchers (if they are not busy). The parents are then given the location of their child and asked to pick them up. If the parents cannot be located or the time for the parents to arrive is extended, the juveniles would be transported to either one of the Sub stations or the police department. Once the parents appear, the child is given a citation and released. If the parent cannot be located, the juvenile is relinquished to a shelter.

Q: Where do I go for Birth, Death, or Marriage Certificates?
A. Contact the County Recorder's Office at 714/834-3005 for marriage certificates and 714/834-2872 for birth and death certificates.

Did you know?

The city has over 1,000 parking spaces near the beach!  You can purchase the Annual Beach Parking pass that allows discounted parking prices near the City beach.  Learn more about this beach parking pass.

Contact Information

City of Huntington Beach
Police Department
2000 Main Street
Huntington Beach, CA
Request non-emergency police service:
(714) 960-8825
General Information:
(714) 960-8811
Fax: (714) 536-5605
Dept Email Directory

Police Department Home
Back to Top  up-arrow