HB Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Service
What is HBRACES
RACES provides (pronounced "RAY-sees"), was created in 1951 primarily to serve in civil defense emergencies to provide essential communications and warning links tosupplement State and local governments. The program is endorsed by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Federal Communications Commission (FCC Part 97, Section 407).
Administered by the Fire Department, RACES members volunteer their time, skills and equipment to support the City during special events and real world emergencies. HB RACES is not an Amateur Radio club. It is a volunteer team within a Fire Department's Office of Emergency Management and Homeland Security.
HB RACES personnel are certified by the State of California as Disaster Service Workers and are trained to provide public safety communications support.
You Can Join Our Team if You
- Are a licensed Amateur Radio Operator
- Are at least 18 years of age
- Can attend meetings regularly
- Can check in to weekly radio nets
- Are available for callouts and special duties
- Own a portable 2-meter amateur radio
- Can pass a background check conducted by the Huntington Beach Police Department
- Desire to provide a public service
- Live or work in Huntington Beach
Special Events Communications
We provide communications for special events (Public Service, Outreach and Training) such as:
- Surf City Marathon
- 4th of July Parade
- Annual Baker to Vegas Challenge Cup Relay
- Orange County Fair, Amateur Radio Booth
- County-wide Emergency Operations Center Drills
- Annual School Emergency Communication Drill
- Annual County-wide SET Drill
- ARRL Field Day
- Equestrian Shows
- Fire Department Shadow Drills
- Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD) Exercises
Our Priorities During a Disaster Include
- Establishing RACES Net Control in the City's Emergency Operations Center (EOC)
- Supplementing impact assessment and/or windshield survey reports for the EOC
- Backing up Fire, Police, Public Works, and Marine Safety communication systems
- Providing backup communications between public/private schools and the EOC
- Providing communications to city facilities
- Establishing communications in emergency shelters
- Relaying CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) neighborhood reports
- Providing ATV (Amateur Television), a live video feed from the city's helicopter and field locations to the EOC
CONTACT US AT
RADIO NETS ARE HELD ON THE
AT 7:15 PM EACH MONDAY.
THE REPEATER FREQUENCY IS:
145.140 -600, 110.9 HZ
Did you know?
The Police Department provides FREE security checks of your home while you are on vacation! This service is provided courtesy of the HBPD Retired Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP). Sign up online for this free service.
City of Huntington Beach
2000 Main Street
Huntington Beach, CA
Phone: (714) 536-5411
Fax: (714) 374-1551