Contract Class Instructor
Please note: All instructor recruitment is currently on hold as a preventative measure in response to mitigating the spread of COVID-19.
Contract Classes Instructors
Here in Huntington Beach, we believe passionately that the key to establishing an exceptional contract class program begins and ends with finding the right people to provide these services. We are continuously looking for the professional and exemplary independent contractors to provide high-quality programming services for the City of Huntington Beach.
A contract instructor is an independent contractor for the City (contract instructors are not employees) who provides a service to the community in the form of a class, workshop, or camp. Please note, workshops, or classes designed to sell or recommend products from your business is prohibited. We recommend reviewing past issues of SANDS Community Services Recreation & Programs Guide to verify a similar program is not already offered.
Interested in teaching a Contract Class for the City of Huntington Beach?
The best candidates for contract class instruction are those whom combine a sincere interest in community service with a desire to supplement their existing income.
Contract instructors do not rent the City facilities. However, a portion of the fees collected are retained by the City to cover facility usage, registration, administration, and promotion of classes in the SANDS Recreation Guide.
The City pays the contractor a percentage of the total enrollment fees collected, minus a $6 per person administration fee. The City's standard payment split for contract classes:
70% to instructor, 30% to City
Art Center classes
60% to instructor, 40% to City
Interested instructors are required to complete/provide the following:
- Independent Contractor Application - view
- Be sure to include both professional or personal references. A resume is optional.
- Proof of compliance with Assembly Bill 5 (AB 5)
- Compliance with AB 5 means you meet the requirements of the ABC Test:
- The [instructor] is free from the control and direction of the hiring entity in connection with the performance of the work, both under the contract for the performance of the work and in fact.
- The [instructor] performs work that is outside the usual course of the hiring entity’s business.
- The [instructor] is customarily engaged in an independently established trade, occupation, or business of the same nature as that involved in the work performed.
You will be contacted if we would like to move forward with your proposal.
If your application is accepted, you will need to complete the following mandatory forms and submit to their assigned site supervisor.
- Proof of current insurance - new for 2021
- Direct deposit authorization (ACH) form - view
- Must also provide a blank, voided check or your bank's direct deposit letter
- W-9 form - view
- Obtain a current City of Huntington Beach business license - view
- All instructors and their staff must be fingerprinted prior to teaching a class, process your Live Scan Fingerprinting through a fingerprinting service - view
Due to print deadlines and internal vetting processes, it is recommended that applications are submitted approximately six months before wishing to begin instruction.
Please review these tips before submitting an application:
- Review the current issue of the SANDS to see if your proposed class is already being offered.
- If a similar program is being offered, how is yours different? Can it be modified to meet a need that is currently not being met?
- Please note that workshops and classes cannot be designed to sell or recommend products from your business or promote your consulting services.
For more information or questions:
Community Services & Recreation Specialist
Did you know?
The Huntington Beach Fire Department conducts free home fire safety inspections for seniors. You can also get a free smoke detector with a 10 year battery and carbon monoxide detector installed. This free service is provided by Project SHIP senior home inspection program volunteers. You can schedule an appointment online
or call 714-374-1615.
Contract Class Instructor
City of Huntington Beach
2000 Main Street
Huntington Beach, CA
Phone: (714) 536-5486
Fax: (714) 374-1654