Solar for Residential Construction Minimum Requirements
Under the 2016 California Energy Code, new residential and non-residential developments must be designed to be "solar ready" by providing for a sloar pathway that will enable future solar installations.
Residential Mandatory Requirements
- Electric vehicle (EV) charging for new construction
- Electric vehicle charging space (EV space) location
Non-Residential Mandatory Requirements
- Electric vehicle (EV) charging
- Single charging space requirements
- Multiple charging space requirements
Solar Ready Home Minimum Requirements
- 200 Amp main service entrance with end fed buss. (California Energy Code Section 110.10(e) 1 and 2 (No center fed buss panels allowed, unless specifically listed by the Original Equipment Manufacture as solar ready.)
- Main service panel shall reserve as a minimum, a space for a double pole circuit breaker at the opposite end of the buss from the utility feed point and shall be marked “For Future Solar Electric” (California Energy Code Section 110.10(e) 2 A and B).
- All buildings that must include a solar zone must also include a plan for connecting a PV and SWH system to the building’s electrical and plumbing system
The Governor’s Office of Planning and Research (OPR) published a “Zero-Emission Vehicle Community Readiness Guidebook” which provides helpful information for local governments, residents and businesses. Website: http://opr.ca.gov/docs/ZEV_Guidebook.pdf
Did you know?
Working on your car and need to get rid of the used motor oil? Protect the environment and dispose of it in the right way - for free! - by using one of these options.
City of Huntington Beach
2000 Main Street
Huntington Beach, CA
Phone: (714) 536-5271
Fax: (714) 374-1648