Building Division
Main: (714) 536-5241
Fax: (714) 374-1647
Walk-in Hours:
Monday–Friday 8:00 am to 3:00 pm

2000 Main Street
Huntington Beach, CA

*Email [email protected] for requests outside of walk-in hours

Permit Guide

This permit guide is to provide general information regarding the permit issuance process in a simplified question and answer format.


Q:   When do you need a building permit?

back to top


A:   Building permits are required to erect, enlarge, alter, remove, demolish, or repair a building or structure in the City of Huntington Beach. For example, permits are required for patio covers, fences, block walls, re-roofs, stairway & guardrail replacements, tenant improvements, signs, and when paving and restriping a parking lot.

There are, however, instances when building permits are not required per the following list of Building Permit Exemptions.

Please call our general office number (714) 536-5241 if have any questions about when building permits may or may not be required. 

Q:  Why do you need a construction permit?

back to top


A:   The purpose of the various construction permits is to regulate the type of construction and the use of property in the City of Huntington Beach. This is to ensure that all construction in the City is safe and complies to the applicable codes. The permits are based on city adopted state building codes as well as on local codes and ordinances. These regulations have been enacted by the State of California and the City Council after careful consideration to protect public health, general welfare and your investment in your property.

Q: Who can obtain a construction permit?

back to top


A:   State law requires that all permits be obtained by a California Licensed Contractor or the property owner.

Contractors are required to have a current Huntington Beach City Business License, the appropriate State Contractors License and be prepared to show verification of Workers' Compensation Insurance unless working alone.

Property owners may obtain permits for their property as an owner-builder.  An Owner-Builder Verification Form must be submitted with every owner-builder permit application. No additional paperwork will be required, other than a state photo ID such as a driver’s license.  Please note that business owners may not obtain permits unless the business owner is also the property owner.

In order for an authorized agent or representative to obtain permits on behalf of a property owner, an Owner-Builder Verification Form must be completed. This form must be completed by the property owner and must be provided to the City along with a copy of the owner's driver's license.

Q:  How much does the construction permit cost?

back to top


A:   There is no single fee for the various permits. Fees are based on the valuation of the project and the number of plumbing, mechanical and electrical systems. The building, planning, and fire (if applicable) plan check fee will be collected at the time the plans and documents for the structure are submitted for plan check. The permit fees will be collected at the time the permits are issued. Permits may be paid for by cash or credit cards between 8:00 a.m.-3:30 p.m., checks are accepted all day (8:00a.m.-5:00 p.m.).


      Please refer to the Fee Schedule for more information.

*Note: Per the California Building Code (Section 109.4), work commencing before obtaining the necessary permit(s) will be subject to an additional fee, as approved by the adopted fee schedule.

Q:  How long does it take to get a building permit?

back to top


A:   Permit issuance times vary depending on the type and complexity of the scope of work.  Many permits are processed and issued over-the-counter without a return visit.  Some projects may have to be submitted and left at the City for additional review and plan check.


Q:  How long is a permit good for?

back to top


A:   A permit is valid for 1 year after it is issued.  In addition, extensions of 180 days are granted automatically when there is a full approved inspection within the period that the permit is valid.  Once a permit is expired, additional permit re-activation fees shall apply. If a project is cancelled, a permit refund (for services not yet performed) will be subject to a processing fee as listed in the City Master Fee Schedule.

Q:  What types of construction permits are available?

back to top


A:   There are various types of permits to match the scope of work that is constructed.  Please refer to the table below.



Building Permit - General construction permit for all building work excluding mechanical, electrical and plumbing work.

Building Permit

Combination Permit - Combined permit for residential projects or commercial signs ONLY which includes building, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical permit types in a single permit.

Combination Permit

Electrical Permit Permit for all electrical work including the installation of a new electrical service, service upgrade or relocation, new circuits or extensions to existing circuits, fixed appliances, and equipment connections.

Electrical Permit

Mechanical Permit - Permit for mechanical work including the installation and repair of heating, ventilating, cooling and refrigeration systems.

Mechanical Permit

Plumbing Permit - Permit for plumbing work including the installation, removal, alteration, or replacement of any plumbing fixture, gas, water, or drainage piping work, or water heating equipment

Plumbing Permit

Re-Roof Permit - Permit for repair, replacement, or new roof on a commercial or residential structure

Re-Roof Permit

Swimming Pool/Spa Permit - Permit for swimming pool/spa including new in-ground pools/spas and above-ground pools/spas. Equipment replacement requires the appropriate electrical or mechanical permit.

Swimming Pool/Spa Permit

Solar Permit - Permit for any type of solar projects including solar water heating and photovoltaic systems.

Solar Permit

Did you know?

The City maintains 124 traffic signals. Report malfunctions to (714) 960-8861(City) or Caltrans (PCH & Beach Blvd) (949) 936-3600. You can also report a malfunction online.

Community Development Home
Planning Division
Building Division
News & Highlights
Forms & Applications
Back to Top  up-arrow