Frequently Asked Mobile Home Questions

Mobile Home Information

Submit Question

What is a Mobile Home?

According to the State of California Health and Safety Code, Section 18006, a Manufactured Home is defined as "A structure, transportable in one or more sections, which, in the traveling mode, is eight body feet or more in width, or 40 body feet or more in length, or, when erected on site, is 320 or more square feet, and which is built on a permanent chassis and designed to be used as a dwelling with or without a permanent foundation when connected to the required utilities, and includes the plumbing, heating, air conditioning, and electrical systems contained therein; except that such term shall include any structure which meets all the requirements of this paragraph except the size requirements and with respect to which the manufacturer voluntarily files a certification and complies with the standards established under this part."

The State of California Housing and Community Development Department's definition of a Mobile Home is located in the 2005 Mobile Home Residency Law (MRL) under Civil Code Section 798.3 "Definition of a Mobile Home" which can be referenced online at:

I Have a Recreational Vehicle (RV); is it Considered a Mobile Home? No; recreational vehicles and buses are not considered Mobile Homes. The City of Huntington Beach's determinations regarding recreational vehicles are referenced in the City's Municipal Code at:

What is the Mobile Home Advisory Board (MHAB)?

The Mobile Home Advisory Board (MHAB) is an advisory body to the City Council that works to ensure the quality of life in Huntington Beach Mobile Home Parks. The MHAB addresses issues that affect the City's 18 mobile home communities by providing a forum for communication among mobile home residents, park owners, and the City Council. The MHAB is comprised of nine City Council-appointed Board Members - Three (3) Huntington Beach mobile home park owners or their designated nominees (who may or may not reside in Huntington Beach), Three (3) mobile home resident owners, and Three (3) Huntington Beach citizens at large wh have no affiliation or relationship with mobile home parks. Also assigned to the MHAB are two City Council Member liaisons and one City staff liaison. Board Members are allowed to serve two full, four-year terms.

The MHAB holds regular quarterly meetings, generally on the fourth Monday in January, April, July, and October at 6:00 PM at a local mobile home park (see Agenda for specific meeting location) with special meetings scheduled as needed. The Agenda is posted 72 hours prior to each meeting. All meeting are open to the public and special meetings may be called in conformance with the Ralph M. Brown Act. Citizens can send written correspondence to the staff liaison who will coordinate responses. Every effort will be made to respond in writing to those individuals who submit proposals or written comments within fifteen working days where practical.

Comments from members of the public are welcome at MHAB meetings. Current and previous MHAB meeting agendas can be viewed here or can be obtained by mail or fax by calling the Economic Development Department at (714) 536-5582.

How Does One Apply to be a MHAB Member?

If you are a park owner, park resident or a citizen at large residing in the City of Huntington Beach, and are interested in serving as a MHAB Board Member, download a pdf version of the application, or contact Julie Toledo at (714) 536-5577, or email [email protected]. Members may only serve on one City committee, board, or commission at a time. Applications are reviewed and final appointments are made by the City Council.

Which Governmental Agency Regulates Mobile Home Parks?

Mobile Home Parks are governed by the State of California Housing and Community Development Department and are regulated by the Mobile Home Residency Law (MRL). Mobile Home park owners, managers and residents are encouraged to reference their copy of the MRL when Mobile Home conflicts occur. The 2005 MRL can be viewed online at:

Does the City of Huntington Beach Have Jurisdiction Over Mobile Home Parks Located Within the City limits?

Mobile Home Parks are regulated by the State of California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD). The City of Huntington Beach does, however, provide safety-related services, such as fire and police protection, to the residents living in Huntington Beach Mobile Home Parks.

What Should a Resident Do if They Experience Difficulty With a Mobile Home Park Resident, Park Manager or Park Owner?

Various complaint forms are available to assist residents who may have concerns with a park resident, manager or owner. A complaint form designed by the Mobile Home Advisory Board is available online Mobile Home Complaint Form or can be obtained by fax by calling (714) 960-8831.

If, after following the process outlined on the complaint form, a park resident still has a concern with a park manager or owner, a formal complaint can be filed online or by mail with the State of California Housing and Community Development Department (HCD). The HCD website and contact information is available online at: Information can also be obtained by calling the local HCD office located in Riverside, California, at (951) 782-4420.

If a Park Owner is Selling His or Her Mobile Home Park, What Responsibilities Does He or She Have with Regard to Existing Park Residents?

The State of California Housing and Community Development Department and the City of Huntington Beach have put into place specific regulations pertaining to the sale or conversion of Mobile Home Parks and the relocation of Mobile Home Park residents under these special circumstances. These regulations are contained in City of Huntington Beach Ordinance 3689 "Mobile Home Park Conversion Ordinance" dated October 20, 2004. To view this Ordinance online, go to:

What Happens if I Have to be Away From My Mobile Home for a Long Period of Time Due to Illness, Unforeseen Circumstances or Hardship?

Most Mobile Home Parks have rules and regulations in place that prohibit an owner from renting their Mobile Home for any length of time. From time to time these rules impose hardships on owners who are temporarily unable to stay in their home when an unforeseen hardship arises, making it difficult to maintain their home and pay their space rent. Recognizing this, the City of Huntington Beach, in 1995, adopted Chapter 17.38 into its Municipal Code, "Temporary Rental of Mobile Homes in Mobile Home Parks," which allows an owner to rent their unit for up to one year (over a two-year period) under certain circumstances, as outlined, provided certain requirements are met. Municipal Code Chapter 17.38 can be viewed online at:

Who Handles the Removal of Graffiti on Mobile Home Park Walls?

If graffiti is spotted within a Mobile Home Park, the Park Manager should be the first point of contact. The City of Huntington Beach Public Works Department might be willing to assist in the removal of graffiti on the park's outer perimeter, depending on the wall location, accessibility an-d material make-up. To find out if the Public Works Department is able to assist with the removal of graffiti on an outer Mobile Home Park wall, please call Terri King at (714) 536-5582.

What Can a Mobile Home Owner do if they are a Low-Income Homeowner and Unable to Make Needed Repairs to their Mobile Home?

The City of Huntington Beach offers low-interest loans to low-and moderate-income homeowners for needed repairs. For information on the City's Housing Rehabilitation Loan Program please call (714) 536-5582 or go online to:

Where can I find General Information on Mobile Home-Related Issues and Group Meetings?

There are several organizations that meet to deal with and report on Mobile Home-related issues. An excellent resource online is Golden State Manufactured Home Owner's League (GSMOL), a non-profit charitable trust corporation, dedicated to preserving Mobile Home ownership as affordable, quality housing through legislative efforts, and organization and education of individual home owners and dwellers." The GMSOL can also be contacted locally by telephone at (714) 826-4071 or by fax at (714) 826-2401.

Did you know?

Solar power is noise pollution free. It has no moving parts, and does not require any additional fuel, other than sunlight, to produce power.  Learn more about solar.

Mobile Home Information

Submit Question

Contact Information

City of Huntington Beach
Office of Business Development
2000 Main Street
Huntington Beach, CA
Phone: (714) 536-5582
Fax: (714) 375-5087

Business Home
Available Commercial Properties
Bids & RFPs
Business Lookup
Chamber of Commerce
Film Permits
Outdoor Dining Program
Planning Services
Resources for Business
Sustainable Business Certification
Back to Top  up-arrow