Newland Barn Rental
The Newland Barn is located in the southwest portion of the City of Huntington Beach in the Newland Shopping Center on Beach Boulevard and Adams Avenue. It is located behind the Newland House Museum. The museum may not be rented. Rental of the Newland Barn includes the enclosed lawn. The Newland Barn is a multi-use facility and other events may be scheduled at the Newland House Museum during your desired time.
Reservations are made in person at the Community Services Department on the 5th floor of the Huntington Beach Civic Center. For Saturday reservations, a lottery is held on the 5th floor of the Civic Center at 8:15 am one-year prior to the event date. For all other days of the week, reservations are made on a first come first served basis. Dates may not be held by phone and you cannot be placed on a waiting list.
Full payment (Rental Fee, Deposit, and Insurance) is required at time of reservation. Acceptable forms of payment are cash, check, Visa, MasterCard, or Discover.
The rental rates are as follows:
|50 seated||75 circulating|
|200 lawn & clubhouse combination|
|Clubhouse 1100 square feet|
|Room measure 31' x 33'|
|Each doorway measures six (6) feet wide with doors open|
|Patio measure approximately 22 square feet|
|Lawn area 136' x 104'|
|12 six-foot rectangular tables|
|90 stackable chairs|
|Men's and Women's restrooms|
|Facility Rooms||Civic & Nonprofit||Residents||Non-Residents||Commercial|
|Liability Insurance (up to 100 attendees)||$81.00 no alcohol
$141.00 with alcohol
|Liability Insurance (up to 101+ attendees)||$113.00 no alcohol
$173.00 with alcohol
|Alcohol Filing Fee||$5.00|
|Table set up (optional) Applies only to tables/chairs inside clubhouse. *Does not include cleanup. Does not apply to rented furniture.||$25.00|
|Change or Cancellation Fee||$10.00|
|Gazebo: It is located on the lawn and is a separate charge payable to the Huntington Beach Historical Society. Download gazebo rental informaton and application.||$100.00|
The Newland Barn is open for walk-in viewing every Wednesday evening at 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm (except major holidays). No appointment is necessary.
- All rentals (except serving of alcohol) must be made at least three (3) weeks in advance or up to 1-year ahead.
- A minimum of 45 days advanced reservation is required for events serving alcohol. Beer, wine, and champagne may be served. “Hard alcohol” may not be served or brought on to the premises. Alcoholic beverages are not allowed in the parking lot.
- A custodian will meet you at the facility. The doors will be unlocked at your designated start time, and will be locked at the end of your rental time.
- Rental hours are the time you (or your designee) arrive, until the time the facility is cleaned and completely vacated.
- Possible clubhouse rental hours are 6:00 am until 12:00 am Friday and Saturday, and 8:00 am until 10:00 pm Sunday through Thursday.
- Minimum rental is two (2) hours.
- Patron is responsible for clean up of the facility. This includes mopping the floor. If the facility is not cleaned by the time specified on the application, the deposit may be forfeited.
- Music and DJ’s are permitted inside only. Live music cannot be amplified. A rental permit does not protect your event from noise complaints.
- Please use only painter’s tape (no staples, nails, or tacks) when applying decorations. No confetti is allowed inside or outside the facility. All decorations and tape must be removed when cleaning the facility.
- The tables and chairs provided by the City must remain inside the facility. Table and chairs can be rented from rental agency for use on the lawn or patio. Rental agencies must deliver and pick up during the time specified on your application.
- The parking lot has 60 spaces with two spaces designated as handicapped. Additional parking is available in the Newland Shopping Center.
- Smoking is not permitted inside the Newland Barn or the lawn area..
- We are unable to provide lists of cleaning, rental, or catering vendors.
- The Newland House Museum is not available for rental and will remain open during its regularly scheduled hours.
- The porch of the Newland House is not available for pictures or ceremonies.
- Enclosed tents are not permitted at the Newland Barn. 10’x10’ pop-up canopies are permitted.
- There is an unpredicable sea breeze that blows across the lawn toward the barn. Paper products and tablecloths should be anchored down. The facility is not air conditioned. There is a heater, the themostat is on the north wall.
- Stakes, dance floors, water filled weights, tarps, or any type of covering may not be placed on or into the grass. *Please be mindful of leaving permanent or even temporary damage to the lawn areas.
- Please do not allow children to climb or swing on the fences or trees, play past the water tower, or near the museum.
- Only the back gate will be unlocked. The side gates, by the Museum, remain locked at all times.
- The only outside light is the floodlight at the north end of the patio.
- The only exterior power outlet is located below the kitchen window.
- Bounce houses are not permitted at the Newland Barn.
- No placing of items on the water tower is allowed.
- Hay bales are not permitted at the Newland Barn.
- The Rose Garden on the south side of the Museum is a good setting for pictures.
- We strongly suggest that you make your rehearsal reservation as soon as possible, even if your event is months away.
- Rehearsals are not allowed during open public viewing. (Wednesdays)
- Rehearsals are only scheduled on Thursdays for up to one-hour at no charge and are made on a first come, first served basis.
- The lawn area of the Newland Barn will be used for your rehearsal.
- If you will require more than one-hour of lawn use, standard hourly rental fees will apply.
- If you will require access to the Newland Barn during your rehearsal, standard hourly rental fees will apply. Do not ask the custodial staff to unlock the building unless you have reserved and paid for its use in advance.
- You must arrange and reserve the time for your rehearsal through the Community Services Department no later than 14 days prior to use.
- Please do not show up at the Newland Barn for rehearsal without a reservation. Advance reservations are always required.
- Please be aware and respectful of the time in which you have agreed to use the facility for your rehearsal, as another group may have a reservation before or after yours.
- The gazebo is not available for use during rehearsals.
- Wedding arbors, canopies, etc. can be placed anywhere on the lawn. Runners are not recommended as they make it difficult to walk on the grass. A suggestion would be to place flowers to define a path.
Reservations with Serving of Alcohol:
Reservations in which alcohol wlll be served must be made at least 45 days in advance (beer, wine, and champagne only). Alcohol events require the hiring of an approved security company.
The Security Companies listed below are not endorsed by the City, but are provided purely for the convenience of our customers. Their hiring is a business transaction between the customer and the company only. All Security Companies providing service on City property are required to have proper liability insurance on file with the City and a City issued business license. The following companies have met these requirements:
Gold Shield Enterprises, Inc.
12881 Knott Street, Suite 231
Garden Grove, CA 92841-3943
State License PPO #6815
Insurance Expiration: 8/3/14
Business License Expiration:
Robert Gage, Operations Manager
Office (714) 892-3245, Cell (714) 381-0609, Fax (714) 539-9712
Closed on Holidays:
No reservations will be accepted for legal holidays observed by the City of Huntington Beach.
Cancellations made at least seven (7) days prior to the event date will incur a cancellation fee. The alcohol filing fee will not be refunded at any time. Cancellations made less than seven (7) days prior to the event date will forfeit all fees.
Change of Reservation Policy:
Changes are to be made in person and at least seven (7) days prior to event.
All changes will incur a change of reservation fee plus additional hours, etc.
Additional fees are due at the time of change.
Special Events Serving Alcohol:
Any group or individual charging a fee for alcohol or charging a fee for entrance to the event and serving alcohol must obtain a one day ABC permit from the State of California Alcohol Beverage Control Department. Contact the ABC for further information.
State of California
Alcohol Beverage Control
Santa Ana District Office
28 Civic Center Plaza, Room 379
Santa Ana, CA 92704
*To obtain nonprofit rates, proof of nonprofit status must be presented at the time of reservation. Acceptable forms of proof are:
|Articles of Incorporation as a nonprofit organization||Secretary of State|
|IRS letter showing organization to be Tax Exempt Services||Internal Revenue|
|State Franchise Tax Board letter showing Board organization Tax Exempt||Franchise Tax|
|Certificate of Registration with the State Registry of Charitable Trusts||State Registry of Charitable Funds|
Additional forms is serving alcohol: